International Triathlon & Marathon | Jahazi Literary & Jazz Festival | Mwaka Kogwa | Religious Festivals – Eid ul Fitr | Religious Festivals – Eid ul Hajj | Sauti Za Busara Swahili Music & Cultural Festival | Zanzibar Cultural Festival | ZIFF Festival of the Dhow Countries
2013 Line up:
Cheikh Lô (Senegal) Mlimani Park Orchestra (Tanzania) Khaira Arby (Mali) Comrade Fatso and Chabvondoka (Zimbabwe) Culture Musical Club (Zanzibar / Tanzania) Atongo Zimba (Ghana / UK) N’Faly Kouyaté (Guinea) Nathalie Natiembe (Reunion) Zanzibar Unyago (Zanzibar / Tanzania) Nawal & Les Femmes de la Lune (Comoros / Mayotte) Wazimbo (Mozambique) The Moreira Project (Mozambique / South Africa) Owiny Sigoma Band (Kenya / UK) Mokoomba (Zimbabwe) Msafiri Zawose & Sauti Band (Tanzania) Mani Martin (Rwanda) Burkina Electric (Burkina Faso / USA) Lumumba Theatre Group (Tanzania) Sousou & Maher Cissoko (Senegal / Sweden) Super Maya Baikoko (Tanzania) Peter Msechu (Tanzania) Wakwetu Jazz Vibes (Tanzania) Safi Theatre Group (Tanzania) and many more.
Sauti za Busara, East Africa’s No. 1 festival brings people together in celebration of the richness and variety of African music. The 10th edition takes place Stone Town, Zanzibar during 14 – 17 February 2013.
Centred within the ancient walls of The Old Fort, the main stage hosts three nights of non-stop live music, with the main programme continuing Friday ‘til Sunday with performances from 5pm until 1am.
Celebrating ten years, the 2013 edition includes Best of the Best, including audience favourites of past years. An open air cinema in the adjacent amphitheatre screens music films from the African Continent and diaspora. Meanwhile throughout town, Zanzibar plays host to a variety of fringe events, aka Busara Xtra.
Sauti za Busara 2013 festival highlights include:
- 200 musicians: upcoming and established, acoustic and electric, from East Africa and beyond. Twenty plus groups, all performing 100% live.
- Best of the Best: audience favourites from past festivals.
- African Music Films: documentaries, music videos and live concert footage.
- Movers & Shakers: Daily networking forum for local and visiting arts professionals.
- Festival marketplace: food and drinks, music CDs, jewellery, clothing and handicrafts.
- Busara Xtra: Around festival time, the island is buzzing with a range of fringe events: traditional ngoma drum and dance, fashion shows, dhow races, open-mic sessions, after-parties and performances of Zanzibar’s oldest taarab orchestras are arranged by the local community.
For regular updates, simply add your email to our mailing list at www.busaramusic.org